1 Night – from €225
On any of our group or private tours, you can opt to depart the DPRK via train to China. In every case, the final stop in North Korea is the fascinating gateway city of Sinuiju, a stone’s throw from Dandong in China. These two contrasting cities are connected by the Sino-Korean Friendship Bridge. With this extension you’ll get the rare opportunity to explore Sinuiju on a loaded 24-hour itinerary that ends the following evening with a crossing over the Yalu River into Dandong via bus. Sinuiju has been open to Western visitors since just 2014.
DAY 1 – DEPART PYONGYANG & DONGRIM
On departure day of your main group or private tour, say goodbye to your guides in Pyongyang and board the train for a 10:10am departure bound for Dongrim Railway Station. The train journey itself provides a unique porthole to every day life in the DPRK as it passes through rural townships and untouched countryside.
At 2:10pm you will arrive at Dongrim Railway Station to meet your new guides before heading to the recently built Dongrim Hotel, a premium accommodation. After check-in we will hike to the nearby Dongrim Waterfalls before returning to an impressive art performance in the evening.
Overnight at the Dongrim Hotel.
(Meals: B, L, D)
DAY 2 – SINUIJU & DEPART TO CHINA
After breakfast we will drive to the border city of Sinuiju, our first stop will be at the Sinam Cooperative Farm where we will learn about local farming techniques. We will then make a visit to the Sinuiju Cosmetics Factory to see how beauty products are made here, you’ll even get the chance to buy some for yourself. Stroll through the central Folklore Park where you’ll often see children playing games and adults enjoying a picnic before we make a stop to pay our respects at the bronze statues of the leaders in the main Sinuiju square. Next is the Provincial Revolutionary Museum which will shed light on the revolutionary exploits of the Great Leaders in this region. Then enjoy lunch in a specialty restaurant.
After lunch, visit the Sinuiju Art Gallery which is filled with artworks on display and for sale by talented local artists. Our last visit will be to the Sinuiju Kindergarten, a facility well known for it’s performing arts curriculum that’s led to some of the most talented children in the country. We will be treated to a final performance here!
Lastly you will pass through customs and board a bus to cross the 900m Sino-Korean Friendship Bridge into China.
(Meals: B, L)
This itinerary is subject to change at any time.
What’s included in this tour:
- All transportation into and around Dongrim and Sinuiju
- Two local DPRK guides
- One local DPRK driver
- 1 nights’ DPRK hotel accommodations (double occupancy, 4 stars)
- Meals as indicated
- Admission fees (except those listed below)
What’s not included in this tour:
- Costs for the bus from Sinuiju to Dandong (50 CNY per person payable in cash)
- Travel insurance and medical evacuation insurance (required)
- Personal expenses (laundry, telephone, etc.)
- Extra drinks during meals (one complimentary beer included)
- Tips for guides and drivers (please budget $10 per day per traveler)
Special Entrance Fees for Optional Events
(Some entrance fees are priced in Euros. We strongly recommend to bring exact change in Euros to pay at the door; USD is accepted, but may be subject to an unfavorable exchange rate)
- Extra a la carte items incurred during meals (i.e., dog meat soup, Kaesong chicken soup, wine at the pizza/pasta restaurant, specialty restaurants such as the Okryu cold noodle restaurant, all roughly $5-10)
- Elevator to the top of the Juche Tower, 5 euros)
- Beer at microbreweries ($1-3 per draft)